So I just finished reading this really good book about a girl who is an illegal immigrant just like the rest of her family. It made me think of many new ideas. It showed me how many people have so many different lives. Not everyone can always understand your story if they don't really get what that story is. They can't even talk to anyone about their problem. It's almost like they're barely surviving in a locked up cage. There's no way to get out without endangering themselves.
Nadira strikes me as a very strong character although her uncle just views her as a fat and lazy girl. Just because she doesn't always show how strong she is doesn't mean that she isn't strong inside. How can she even be strong if she has to watch out for every word that comes out of her mouth? For her, I think it feels like she's being watched every second of her life. And if she makes a single wrong move, her whole family could get deported. All her family can do is cling on to the hopes that they can just get their papers as soon as possible without any problems. With every hope comes problems. But not every problem comes with a solution.
There are some parts that I really feel are unfair. One part that stuck out to me was how people viewed Muslims after 9/11. It's like everything changed so fast after that one day. And I guess I can kind of feel how Nadira feels because I'm also Muslim and I don't really think I would be able to work with how hated I would be. It's like, she wants to find a way to fix the way of thinking that people have. But really, you can't do that. They are their own person. And if someone makes a suggestion for the better, it'll just go ignored and not cared for. Nadira feels that the idea of acceptance is very foreign to some. But she can't do anything to fix that way of thinking.
Her father was detained for months. How does it even feel to have your own father taken away from you? Nadira can't think of any way to try to save her dad. She has no control over what the laws that immigration police abide by. It's as if everything that has happened to her just happened without her control.
I thought this was a very deep and inspiring book. It really spoke to me. It shows a lot about a girl's life that has to be accepted whether she likes it or not. But now, she can decide which way she wants to take control of.
Great Post! I like how you connected the character to yourself. Also that Nadira sounds like a strong character to me too. It would be hard if a person is discriminated and being watched everyday and if they do something wrong they would be deported. I think it is so unfair to have to be deported if you did not do anything wrong.
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I think its really great how you related yourself to the character! I think it really shows how well you understood the book and its message. I think its great how you explained what happens in the book in a short and easy way. It wasn't too much information, yet it was just enough for me to understand the post, follow what you were saying, and form my own opinion on what is happening in the book! I agree with you when you talk about how its impossible for Nadira to show how strong she really is, when she is worried about her every action!
ReplyDeletegood post <33
Farha, this is a really great post and it is interesting how you say what you think from your point of view. I also think it is good how you explain her and her family. How do you see Nadira? Do you see her as fat and ugly? ily....:D Great post.
ReplyDeleteThanks guys. I think Nadira's a strong character and she really helps hghlight the real issues in the book . love you guys too <3
ReplyDelete