Thursday, February 9, 2012

Maniac Magee

            This is a book that I have read many times. It is one of the saddest books I've ever read as well. Maniac Magee is not a maniac. This is just what people labeled him because he runs around all the time and he is homeless. He has no parents because they died in a car accident. 
            I would feel horrible if I were in Maniac Magee's place. His real name is actually Jeffrey. So I would feel horrible because it's hard for me to imagine not having any parents. I'd feel so lonely all the time. There'd be no one to come home to. There would be no one to hug. No one to ask you how your day went. Parents are the people you trust from the moment you come into the world. So what happens when you lose them? You just feel even lonelier. Jeffrey has nothing to do but run away from his aunt and uncle.
            Jeffrey becomes known as this Maniac because he runs around town by himself. This is what people do. They label you without trying to know who you really are. Yes, that's cliche. But a lot of things are only cliche because they are very important. People just assume things about you without actually ever talking to you. I don't know how you can even try to change that. 
            Sometimes you need to give people a chance to prove themselves. You need to not judge them based on appearance or just from what people say. Those things are all very superficial and don't take in account how that person really is on the inside. Small things like this hurt. And they affect what people think of themselves. 
           Jeffrey has had a very hard life. He doesn't deserve to be called a maniac. He doesn't deserve to have no parents. He doesn't deserve a lot of bad things that just happen to him. But he needs to find a way to overcome all these obstacles. No one said it would be easy though. It'll take time. Time and effort. And hope.  

4 comments:

  1. This was a really great blog post. I think that it was a really great idea to take an issue in this story and extend it to humanity. You also brought up some really good points and you asked some really good philosophical questions. You also included things that we should do, like labeling people. Great blog post, I really enjoyed it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog post Farha! I like how you went into the character of Maniac Magee and tried to imagine how he feels being labeled as a maniac and having to live without any parents to support him. I'm wondering - how does Maniac Magee feel about all of these people judging him without getting to know him?
    I also like how you ended your post with the ways Maniac Magee can overcome these tough obstacles, like by finding hope.
    Nice Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Farha! I agree with Mahdi and Rachel, this was a very good blog post; I found it to be thought-provoking because- what if you were really in Jeffrey's place? You wouldn't want anyone to call you a maniac because you were trying to find ways of supporting yourself and the only way to do that is by looking around town to see if you find things that will help you. NICE JOB ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! :)
    And Rachel, he was very oblivious to all the people who talk about him and call him a maniac.

    ReplyDelete