Thursday, October 6, 2011

meaningful things Freak says

          Freak says a lot of really meaningful things throughout the book. One of the many things he says is that televiusion is the opiate of the masses and then he says that books are truth serums.
          It's actually quite funny because opiate means like, this sort of drug that has this duling/relaxing effect. So this just sort of gave me a whole new view on this whole "opiate of the masses" idea. If you think about it, it's actually true. Television is what everyone goes to when they've had a very bad day or if they just don't have anything better to do. Television's like a backup for everything. Nobody ever stops to think that T.V. doesn't really help us with anything in particular. It's all trash. But nobody really cares do they? Or maybe it's just that people know, but they're just too lazy to realize it. Televison is what people watch when they need to fill their mind with something---anything---to pass time. Yes, there are some advantages to T.V. but that doesn't really mean anything when the rest or what, like 70 percent of T.V. is trash.
          Books actually are truth serums. If you don't read, you don't figure out what's real and what isn't. In books, you get to choose what you belive. But on televison, they are practically telling you what to believe. Books would be meaningless/worthless if they were not read by people.They would just be letters, words, and sentences on paper if they were neglected and not read.
          These things that Freak said are related because they are both ways to entertain yourselves. But the thing is, most people would much rather choose television than books. I can understand why even though it's probably not the best decision.
          Freak strongly represents knowledge and it's true. He makes you think about all these little things. Little things, or concepts, that people don't really find all that important until they realize that it's gone.

4 comments:

  1. I think this is a meaningful and true blog post. I agree that many people watch TV when they have had a bad day. Even though most of TV is trash, some people still chose to watch it. Books are probably better for you but I guess maybe people might be to lazy to read them like you were saying people are to lazy to realize that most of TV is trash.Freak seems like a very wise and smart character in this book and he says things that have a deeper meanings then they seem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Although I don't know who you are

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a really good post because you sort of look into something that most people (including me) realize. I also like how you related this quote to the world. You kinda unpack this line but then... I like how you sorta connected with the book in this moment and really thought deeply about it because this blog post really shows you thought about this. So... overall good job!


    Jailyn :D

    ReplyDelete