In the book Cruel and Unusual, there are so many parts where I find myself resisting the text. There are many parts parts where I feel kind of disgusted but even then, I can't stop myself from continuing to read. These parts pop up a lot, especially because this book is all about murder and investigation. The criminal that the story is mostly based upon burglarized a lady's house and then murdered her after she walked in on him.
Her murder was so brutal it's unbelievable. What's even worse is that he made her suffer. How can a person do that? He was supposedly stoned at the time he murdered the women. Yeah, it's a pretty legit excuse for his brutality, but it's just not enough for me. It's not okay for a person to kill a women with no emotion. I just hate it when poor innocent people die. Like they can't do anything to help themselves. They just can't. They're so helpless. Their life is taken away in a second, faster than it take for a drop of water to reach the ground. But when a drop of water hits the ground, it slowly evaporates. When a human hits the ground, the impact is much worse. They don't evaporate though. When a person hits the ground, their memories are still there. Their accomplishments are still there. Their smiles, their laughter, their tears, everything is still there. Nothing really changes. Except the fact that you don't really get to physically see that person anymore.
When I was reading all the details of the murder, I was so horrified. I couldn't think of that actually happening in the world. But it does. I guess these scenarios are very foreign to me. I mean, I'm aware that there is murder everyday, everywhere in the world. But to imagine it being painful to the victim is just horrible. But the thing is that you just can't stop yourself from continuing to read. You can't help yourself from turning the page. I think that is what makes it much more interesting.
I think resisting the text is something that should mean a lot to the reader. It shows that the text is affecting you in some way. It shows me that there are ideas in this world that you don't really understand until you are at a certain maturity level. It would be irresponsible to shove something like this murder text at someone who's like,7 years old. They couldn't take all of it in. It would be overwhelming for them. This is why I think that the people who can turn really complicated ideas into simple but intricate stories are quite smart. Resisting the text is important because it really makes you think deeper about the idea. It just adds one more thing to the ever growing list of ideas in your head that you never even knew existed. Most of the time, these ideas are things that you almost don't want to exist. That's what makes them so powerful. Because it screams HEY I EXIST! like someone who can't fathom why he murdered another person screams HEY I'M A KILLER.
Wow. This blog post had lots of deep thinking and I completely understand your thoughts. You know that murders happen all the time but you clearly can't picture yourself doing any of these cruel actions, so how can you picture anybody else even think of such things?
ReplyDeleteGreat job. Bud. <3
I love your post, sounds like a good book! I really like your human/drop of water metaphor, your writing is always very poetic and filled with creative things of that sort. Why do you think you always keep reading this book, even after you resist it? Is there a specific quality in this book that causes you to react that way?
ReplyDeletehey thanks you guys ily. elsa: I can picture other people doing it because it happens sooooo often that it's just become almost natural to hear people murdering others.
ReplyDeletealex: it's just too hard like, NOT to resist it you know? You know you don't wanna continue but you cant stop yourself. <33333333