I find this book very fascinating. It really magnifies the problems of a girl who has this very busy dad, who is, by the way, one of the richest people in the world. He has no time for her. Ever.
I think that family is so very important for a person. Carina never really expects much from her dad. She's learned that he doesn't really have the time for her. It really bugs me that he can't even set aside a little bit of time to spend some quality time with his daughter. After all, she is the only kid he has. He even fought for custody over her. What's the point of having her under his custody if he doesn't even have the time of day to ask her how she's doing in school?
Maybe it isn't his fault that he doesn't have any time for her. Maybe he just has so much work to do that he has no free time. Bu that's not an excuse. Or maybe he does lover her. He just isn't the type of person to show his love. Maybe he doesn't even know HOW to show his love. But it's just not right. Whenever him and Carina go on a trip, or vacation, he always ends up leaving for a business trip or an emergency meeting.
What really makes me mad is that he feels that money is the answer to everything. He has let money overcome the love and affection that his daughter needs. He actually thinks that just because he gives Carina money and lets her buy anything she wants that he's being a good father. Like, what are you tying to do? He said "Haven't I been a good father to you? I've payed all your credit card bills." That doesn't do anything. Money just blinds you.
You cannot let money change the course of your love for your daughter. A kid deserves some attention and affection from their parent. A thousand dollar dress will never be as valuable as the love of a parent.
Good post! So I just read the book too, and it also really frustrated me that he is such a terrible dad. I agree with you that whatever excuse he has for not being able to even know his only daughter (like having too much work, or not being the type of person to show his love,) is not acceptable. I am glad though, in the end, when he finally realizes his mistakes and starts to fix things.
ReplyDeleteGood post! I wrote my blog post on this book as well, and I also talked about what she misses from her father. I didn't understand why he would keep Carina from her mother when he won't show Carina any love. however, I noticed how her father sometimes actually tries to make conversation with her, but Carina shuts him off (because she assumes that he cheated on her mother). I agree that he needs to try to fix things and show Carina more love. Although I think a one thousand dollar dress is a GREAT way for parents to show their love, Carina needs someone to talk to at home.
ReplyDelete@alex: thanks buddy. And I agree with you because just because he has other occupations doesn't mean he can just ignore his own daughter.
ReplyDelete@elsa: thanks buddy. And I agree with you too because it's not right that Carina shuts out her dad like that. She should have given him a chance.