Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Homeless Bird

            I have just finished reading this book. It was actually a quick read because I was so enhanced by the book that I could not let go of it. It's basically about this girl, Koly, who lives in India,and she gets married at thirteen. Then, to make it worse, her husband (who is the same age as her) DIES. How horrible can a girl's life get? The things that go on in this book are things that I can't really imagine myself doing. I just can't see myself n that situation.  
           For someone my age to get married is a really big deal. It's also illegal. Well, at least in the U.S. If I were to get married now, I'd be so confused. Koly was pretty much pressured into getting married. It's like, you can't just steal the freedom of someone at such a young age. They should be able to do things like go to school, have fun, and just chill. They shouldn't have to worry about things like cleaning up the house, cooking,and having children. Maybe it's another tradition, but that doesn't allow you to take away someone's independence all together without warning.
           After Koly's husband died only a few days after they got married, Koly's mother in law just up and left Koly in the city to fend for herself. How is a thirteen year old supposed to live by herself in the streets in the city all by herself? Thank goodness that Koly found a widow helping house where they helped her get back on her feet. It's really helpful when you have many girls in the same situation as you to help you cope with your problems. It feels good to know you aren't the only one that is having such a hard life. When you have support from your friends, you feel safer and more confident. It's just natural to feel that way. 
          Once Koly has gotten married off, she never gets to see her parents anymore. I can't think of myself without getting to see my parents or brother for three years. But Koly can't even go back to her parents because it would shame her family if she went back. You are not supposed to go back to your parents when you husband dies. It brings disgrace to the family. So Koly has no choice but to stay with her mother and father in law. But then chances of survival decrease when she is dropped off to support herself in the city.
         I would not want to be Koly or be in any of her situations but I  feel like she is such a strong and good-hearted character and she deserves all the happiness there is.   

4 comments:

  1. Great Blog Post! I agree with you that for someone to get married at the age of thirteen is a big deal. It would be hard for a person to have gotten married when they were thirteen in the United States. I think that leaving Koly alone in the city is horrible thing because how can she be by herself, but it was good that she found someone that could help her. I also would not want to be in any of Koly's situations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...I feel so bad for Koly! I totally agree with you on everything you said. I mean, how is Koly supposed to fend for herself when she is only 13? That's putting a lot of pressure and responsibilities on a 13 year old. I don't think she is emotional ready to handle marrying some random guy...and to make it worse, he dies! That's so horrible. The worst part is that she can't even get help from her parents! (That's probably the only people she trusts right now). I am so glad I am not in Koly's situations right now because she is rushing her life (even though it was part of her culture). I think she should have stuck up to her parents and told them how she felt BEFORE marrying the guy...

    Awesome blog post! -Liv :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I agree with you when you say you can't picture yourself in Koly's situation. I think it is way too big of a responsibilty for a thirteen year old to take on. Also, she has not even had time to prepare for something like this. Up until now, Koly's life probably has not had responsibilities like being married and this is way too sudden for her. At least she had first had a husband to help her out but now he dies! Too sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey thanks buddies! I agree with what you guys said. Yes, it's true that Koly should be able to decide things for herself and the situation she was put in was not very fair.

    ReplyDelete