So I have just started reading this book. I actually heard it was a really great book so I thought I'd give it a try. So for this book is interesting enough for me to continue reading it. I want to just explain some of the recurring ideas that are just popping up everywhere.
Given the title, I took more attention to this one issue. It's pride. These people really do take pride of who they are. They feel that pride is bad when you have too much of it and it twists into conceitedness. But I feel like you have a right to have pride in who you are especially because you have earned your way up to that kind of level. Your just entitled to it. But it's your decision if you want to turn it into something bad or not. It doesn't take much work for you to turn something good into something bad. Conceitedness is frowned upon in this society (I mean the society in the book). It is made clear when Mr.Darcy is talked of by the people in the Bennet family. He has good looks and he is very rich. But his actions towards others makes him seem like a snob.
Another thing that I noticed is something that is still obvious to us today. The way you carry yourself really shows a lot about who you are. Those who hold their head high and walk with a certain airiness are admired. They know what they are doing. They are the "sophisticated" ones. It somehow lets their image get bumped up to a higher level. I think it's easier to respect people who seem confident and sure. Like, there's no way anything they do can be wrong. So the people of the society take comfort in knowing that they can trust these people. The manner in which you carry yourself shows a lot.
Given the title, I took more attention to this one issue. It's pride. These people really do take pride of who they are. They feel that pride is bad when you have too much of it and it twists into conceitedness. But I feel like you have a right to have pride in who you are especially because you have earned your way up to that kind of level. Your just entitled to it. But it's your decision if you want to turn it into something bad or not. It doesn't take much work for you to turn something good into something bad. Conceitedness is frowned upon in this society (I mean the society in the book). It is made clear when Mr.Darcy is talked of by the people in the Bennet family. He has good looks and he is very rich. But his actions towards others makes him seem like a snob.
Another thing that I noticed is something that is still obvious to us today. The way you carry yourself really shows a lot about who you are. Those who hold their head high and walk with a certain airiness are admired. They know what they are doing. They are the "sophisticated" ones. It somehow lets their image get bumped up to a higher level. I think it's easier to respect people who seem confident and sure. Like, there's no way anything they do can be wrong. So the people of the society take comfort in knowing that they can trust these people. The manner in which you carry yourself shows a lot.
I am really liking this book and I’m going to continue reading it.
Great post! I really like how you showed to positive and negatives of pride. In your first body paragraph, you talked about how too much pride can turn into conceitedness and is "frowned upon in society" in this book. Then in your second body paragraph, you talk about how having some pride can earn peoples respect and can be a positive thing.
ReplyDeleteAnother good thing about your post is that you made me want to read it! You talked about why you liked the book and why I should read it!