It is based on trust because Macy trusted her father so much and to have him die in front of her eyes must have really hit her hard. To have someone that you love gone right before you could register it is so tough. Macy didn't just lose her father, she lost his love. She no longer was as easily embraced as she was when her father was alive. After the death of her father, her mother went in her own direction and sort of shut Macy out in a very subtle way. I feel like trust is a funny thing. When you have it, you feel protected, like nothing can hurt you because someone's got your back. But when that trust is gone, you feel very empty and helpless. All Macy wants is to be able to talk to her mother but the fact that her mother has formed this very hard shell around herself makes it hard for Macy. Trust comes and goes. When a person leaves, the trust leaves with that person. Maybe that's how Macy feels about her dad.
Letting go also has a lot to do with this book. Macy's mother is very tight with her feelings. She doesn't really make an effort to help Macy deal with her father's death. I think it's because she, herself, is very afraid to deal with it herself. I think that ties into the fact that she doesn't talk to her daughter about anything that has to do with her husband. People can't really help others with problems that they can't overcome themselves. It surprises me because I would think that a mother would try to stay strong and help her family out during the death of a loved one.But I also understand Macy's mother because she has her problems as well. But even at that, she should still leave some time for Macy. Macy's mother is very obsessive about her work. It's her way of dealing with big life changing problems. Everyone has ways of dealing with problems but that doesn't mean you can shut out others around you and sort of go into a bubble. Especially those you care about.
This book was really deep and I really liked it. It gave me an insight into what it is like to lose someone even though I haven't experienced it myself. Death of a loved one does not let you forget about the rest of the world. It's supposed to make you realize that you have to be more tuned into whats going on around you. It's supposed to make you realize that you should care more about the people around you because they can leave anytime as well. Death is like a storm cloud that hangs over your head from the second you're born. Nobody really knows when the rain will come falling down. So you should try your best to make the sun come out even knowing that the rain can fall whenever it wants to. Let the sun shine while it can.
I really liked your post and it makes me want to read the post! I think that's because I can really relate to it, my mom also acts the same way towards me and maybe you should write about what would you do if you were in this situation. And also, why do you think she was never really open to her mother?
ReplyDeleteShe was never sure if her mother was ready to talk about the death or not. I like how you sort of brought a little of your own personal life into this. Thanks Jailyn <3
ReplyDelete